August 2, 2010

Keith Urban And The American Troops Show Mutual Support And Admiration

Keith Urban was interviewed by The Pentagon Channel which provides media to all members of the Department of Defense, including American troops stationed worldwide. What an honor for Keith to be chosen and what a compliment to be told directly that his music has personally helped members of the military through tough times.

The interview took place last year but seemed to have slipped under the radar. Thanks to a Twitpic its now here at STS to share with the fans.


























SSgt Brian Buckwalter with Keith

pentagonchannel: @keithurban,thanks for the great interview. You and the band sounded incredible at soundcheck. - via http://twicsy.com/i/YrbDb


Command Performance Presents Keith Urban and Kristian Bush

By U.S. Marine Staff Sgt. Brian Buckwalter

Thursday I taped a couple segments for “Command Performance,” a show on the Pentagon Channel that allows military viewers to hear from their favorite musicians. The interviews don’t always touch on military subjects – they’re meant to be a break from an environment many of you are constantly surrounded by.

I got to talk with country musicians Keith Urban and Kristian Bush (one half of the Sugarland duo). We talked about life and how they’ve gotten to where they are today. I asked them about their music, inspirations, and family. We had fun, and I hope you check out the episodes at http://www.pentagonchannel.mil/commandperformance when they’re posted.
At the end of both interviews, as I always do, I afforded Kristian and Keith the opportunity to give a shout out to the troops. I believe the sincerity of what they said came across well on tape. But I wish everyone serving could have been there at the moment their “thank yous” were said. Why? Because what the camera can’t catch is how deep that sincerity really is. They get it. They know you sacrifice on their behalf and on behalf of everyone else who enjoys freedom.

From an outsider’s perspective, the life of a music star may seem like it’s lived in a bubble. Pre-show and during the concert, that may be true to an extent; they are there to perform and entertain and they take that job seriously. Time to focus and prepare is a necessity when people are paying good money to see you. But for both Keith and Kristian I did not get the sense they were out of touch with what is going on. In fact, Kristian grew up in a military family and her music partner, Jennifer Nettles, has a brother who serves in the military. After the cameras were off Keith Urban reiterated the appreciation he has for the U.S., New Zealand and Australian militaries.

And to Keith and Kristian: I gave you the opportunity to send a message to the troops, but here’s one from us all: Keep playing. Keep making music that we listen to. I can’t tell you how many times [Keith Urban’s] “Someone Like You” ran through my head on deployment and brought a smile to my face. It was the song my wife and I left the church to the day we got married. And I know I’m not the only one with Sugarland’s songs in my playlist. Music we relate to can have a significant impact on our mood and helps keep us sharp when we need to be. This is invaluable downrange. Thank you.

1 Comment:

Verity said...

You can't get any better than that!

Post a Comment